The Institute received initial financial support through a grant provided by the South Mountain Partnership, an alliance of organizations working to preserve and enhance the cultural and natural assets of the South Mountain Landscape in Central Pennsylvania. The Partnership receives funding and support as part of the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources’ Conservation Landscape Initiative Program.
Other funders of the Institute since its inception in 2013 include:
• The PA Department of Community and Economic Development and PA Parks and Forests Foundation
• The Kate Svitek Memorial Foundation
• The Chris Thorpe Foundation
• Friends of Pine Grove Furnace State Park
• John Crain Kunkel Foundation
• Appalachian Audubon
• The Safari Club International, Blue Mountain Chapter
• The Cumberland and Adams County Conservation Districts
The GLLI is coordinated by the Central Pennsylvania Conservancy (CPC), in cooperation with its lead partner, Pine Grove Furnace State Park. The CPC is a local, nonprofit land trust for an eight-county South Central Pennsylvania region, with a mission to conserve natural resources and open space for the benefit of current and future generations through land acquisitions, donated easements and outreach and education.